Châtel sits as the highest village in the Abondance valley surrounded by the craggy peaks of the Dents du Midi.
Situated on the border of the French & Swiss alps at 1200m with views over the whole Abondance Valley, there are alpine chalets and pine trees everywhere you look in this Savoyarde village - you won't find any high rise concrete buildings here!
The combination of a traditional alpine village with modern amenities is unique - Châtel has an old charm atmosphere that's hard to beat. In the summer, the sound of cow bells reminds you that Châtel is still a rustic farming village as well as a world class holiday destination.
Châtel offers plenty of retail therapy, with outdoor clothing stores, souvenir shops and speciality produce such as French cheese & delicious saucission (Savoyarde cured sausage).
Both Châtel & La Chapelle d'Abondance have a varied selection of bars & Restaurants - traditional Savoyard as well as modern with the local micro-brewery, wine bar and 'pub' (great for watching the big sporting events).
The scenic drive from Lake Geneva to Chalet Cannelle surrounded by the peaks of the Chablais Massif is a spectacular welcome to the beautiful Abondance valley. The river Dranse, perfect for water sports and fishing in the summer, follows the drive up into the mountains and through the local alpine villages.
Abondance, famed for its delicious cheese from the local Abondance cows is at 840m. The cows are an important part of the community and even have their own festival in August where the cows are decorated in flowers and awarded cow bells for their yield. The medieval abbey and the cloisters give a sense of serenity to your visit. The gothic architecture and frescoes from the 15th century are rare in the area.
The Abondance ski area is not linked to the Portes du Soleil but is included in the valley pass. Although small, so are the crowds and the views from the pistes up the valley make it a great ski day
La Chapelle d'Abondance at 975m is the smallest of the Abondance villages with its own ski area, Cret Beni, and also has ski lift connections into the Portes du Soleil and the hub for cross country / Nordic skiing. La Chapelle is renowned for its walking trails with miles and miles of paths through the forests and up the peaks. It is also on the route of the GR5 walking track.
Nearby places to Châtel, day trips or en route as part of your holiday
- Explore the spa town of Evian or the medieval town of Yvoire
- Swim in the crystal clear waters from one of the lake beaches
- Get active and take part in one of the many watersports available
- Take the ferry to Lausanne and experience Switzerland's second largest city
Morzine and Les Gets
- The neighbouring villages to Châtel
- Ski across the valley in winter, use your multi pass to access the walking paths in summer
- Play a round of golf at 1500m at the 18-hole course in Les Gets
Montreux and Vevey
- Perfect for heritage lovers
- Discover the spectacular Château de Chillon on Lac leman
- Wander along the promenade of the Montreux Riviera, home of the famous Jazz Festival
- Take the cog train to Rocher de Naye for stunning lake and mountain views
- Explore the boutique stores and market at Vevey
- See the making of the famous Gruyère cheese
- Explore the medieval hilltop village and castle
- Visit the Callier chocolate factory
- The stunning lakeside town of Annecy
- The lofty heights of Chamonix Mont Blanc
- The Aosta Vallee, Italy
- North: Besançon 2hr 40, Dijon 3hr 20, Strasbourg 3hr 40
- East: Lake Maggiore 4h, Milan 4hr 30
- South: Turin 3h, Avignon 4h 30
- West: Lyon 3h, Bourgogne 3h